Clinics & Services
We aim to give a comprehensive family medical service which includes the following:
- Baby immunisation, vaccinations etc – see the Health Visitor
- Family Planning – see the practice nurse, or your doctor
- Cervical Smears – see the Practice Nurse
- Minor Illness – coughs, colds earache etc – see the Nurse Practitioner, or ask about the minor ailment scheme
- Medical Examinations not covered by the NHS – arrange these with the Senior Administrator, who will advise you of the fee involved
- Travel Vaccinations – see the Practice Nurse
- Smoking Cessation Clinics
- Counselling ServiceDietician
- We are also linked to the East Lancashire Day Rehabilitation Service
Our Health Visitors are based in Oswaldtwistle and can be contacted by ringing 01254 770080. They can give advice on health care particularly for pregnant mother, the under 5’s and the elderly.
This is provided by the Community Midwives in conjunction with the GPs. All the GPs here at Clayton Medical Centre are qualified to provide Maternity care, and generally, the antenatal care is shared with the hospital at Royal Blackburn.
Both Dr Hewitt and Dr Hussain perform minor surgery. This is discussed with your GP and arranged by appointment. There is a short waiting list and an appointment will be sent out for you to attend one of the Minor Surgery Clinics.
These are performed by the Practice Nurse, or a GP. Current recommendations are that all women between the ages of 25-49 should have a cervical smear every 3 years and all women between the ages of 50-65 should have one every 5 years. An automatic recall system is in place and all women eligible will be sent a reminder to attend.
We provide a full Family Planning Service, which includes the fitting of the coil, Mirena, Implanon and Caps, by appointment.
Child Health Clinic The surgery runs a regular 8 week child development clinic on conjunction with the Health Visitor and Dr Luckhurst. This clinic provides general health screening, immunisations and an opportunity for patients to raise any worries they may have regarding their child’s progress.
Further developments are carried out at 8 months and 18-24 months. An appointment will be sent for your child to attend at the appropriate time. Should you feel that your child has missed an assessment, please contact the Health Visitors on 01254 770080